Information for Health Professionals
Cancer Society Programs for your Patients and their supporters
- Monthly Breast Cancer Support Group
- Bi-monthly Bowel Cancer Support Group
- Middlemarch Cancer Support Group
Program designed for anyone affected by cancer at any stage offering practical ways of living well. Including people caring for someone with cancer and people interested in cancer.
Provides holistic support for those supporting another with cancer. Consists of five weekly sessions twice a year.
Living With Loss
Provides support for those post loss who would appreciate support around their grief. Consists of five weekly sessions twice a year.
Bridge to Health: Cancer Survivorship Program
Has your patient/client finished the main part of their cancer treatment? Are they searching for what comes next or need support to return to work and commitments or just want to understand what they have been through and share with others in a similar situation? Have they been cancer free for months or even years but still living with the fear of cancer?
* Please note that this program was not designed for people on a palliative care pathway. See other programs for one that may suit these patients.
Referral process for Bridge to Health Cancer Survivorship Program.
Location: The Program is currently running in Invercargill, Dunedin and soon to be introduced in to Central Otago/Queenstown-Lakes Community.
The Bridge to Health Programme provides free evidenced based information over six interactive sessions. Other services are provided AND provision of a voucher for one funded visit to their primary care team.
- To help a person and their support person(s) understand the changes in body and mind caused by a cancer diagnosis and treatment
- To empower them to make positive changes in lifestyle and attitude
- To improve physical fitness, emotional and spiritual health
- To help them make the most of their medical team and help them smooth the transistion from secondary to primary care
Seminar 1 Being a Cancer Survivor
Seminar 2 Physical Activity Seminar
Seminar 3 Emotional and Spiritual Health
Seminar 4 Nutrition For Cancer Survivorship
Seminar 5 Relationships and Sexuality
Seminar 6 Getting the best from your medical team
- Mindfulness Training
- Wellness Massage
- Access to Cancer Society Supportive Care Team and Counselling Services
- Plus a voucher for a Primary Care double appointment with patient's own GP/Practice Nurse up to a value of $80. This visit could be used to create an individual Health Plan for the patient.
Seminars are facilitated by Health Professionals, Nutrionists, Physiotherapists and Counsellors
The Program was developed by a multidisciplinary team from Oncology Services SDHB, Cancer Society Supportive Care team members, a consumer and health professionals experienced in oncology.
Program Developer and Facilitator Dr Sue Walthert MB ChB Dip Obs, FRNZCGP
Contact Program Co-ordinator:
Phone 479 6777
Complete referral form and send to:
Cancer Society, Otago & Southland Division
283 Great King Street